Al “Scarface” Capone
Born in 1899 in Brooklyn, New York.
- Italian immigrant parents
- At age 19, Al married Mae Coughlin and was pressured to maintain the straight and narrow path, but also needed to make money to support his growing family.
- Crime Boss, Johnny Torrio, took Al Capone under his wing and showed him the ropes of the bootlegging operation and other illegal activities.
- 1st arrest for Scarface was when he was drunk and hit a parked taxi cab.
- 1923-Al Capone was elected as a mayor whose platform was reform.
- 1924- Johnny Torrio and his men started an intimidation effort to get more votes for Al. During the intimidation process, some voters were shot and killed. (March 31, 1924)
- Johnny Torrio soon turned over the Chicago crime syndicate to Al Capone when he chose to return to Italy.
- The Chicago operation was estimated at $100 million in revenue annually.
- Later, Al Capone was arrested for tax evasion and sent to the infamous prison, Alcatraz.